[gst-devel] Problems setting brightness value to a v4l2 stream

Steffen Liebscher sliebscher at vitracom.de
Fri Oct 15 13:42:13 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

I'm recently having a project running, concerning an application that
aquires images from a video4linux2 source. First of all, I tried both of
following commands:

gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! xvimagesink hue=1000 saturation=1000
brightness=1000
gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! xvimagesink

Here's the URL I took the example from:
http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-xvimagesink.html#gst-plugins-base-plugins-xvimagesink.synopsis

Both images show the exact same image. I tried different values for hue,
saturation and brightness but none of the values I set had any effect to
the output image. Am I getting something wrong here?
Corresponding to these results, any changes concerning hue, saturation
and brightness to my v4l2 parameters, using the gst-launch tool, had any
effect. I also tried both versions, gst-launch and gst-launch-0.10.

Another question I like to ask is: How do I change the brightness value
of my v4l2 stream in my source code? As I understand the gstreamer
pipeline structure, I need an imagesink to aquire an
GstColorBalanceChannel. But if I do so, only my output on screen will be
changed, not my frame object that I can access using my playbin which I
use for further image processing in my application. Is there a way to
set up my video grabber using v4l2 with my desired brightness values?
I've been searching for examples and reading the API reference for the
past two days but I couldn't find any suitable result.

Thanks in advance,

Steffen