[gst-devel] Possible bug in ximagesrc

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Sat Oct 16 10:34:25 CEST 2010

Greetings,

I think I stumbled upon a bug in ximagesrc. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 with
all the lastest patches and the latest driver included in the distro.
I have two screens, with resolutions 1600x1200 and 1680x1050. Second
screen is placed left of the first one and I use it as a primary screen.

I tried to record my desktop with:

gst-launch ximagesrc startx=1680 starty=0 endx=3280 endy=1200 \
use-damage=0 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! x264enc ! matroskamux ! \
filesink location="test.mkv"

The result was a video with resolution 3280x1200 and both screens were
recorded. After some experimenting I noticed that this command line
works as it should:

gst-launch ximagesrc startx=1680 starty=0 endx=3278 endy=1198 \
use-damage=0 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! x264enc ! matroskamux ! filesink \
location="test.mkv"

In this case the result was a video with the resolution of 1598x1198.

As soon as I try to capture a video where width or height end on the
edge of the screen I end up with both screens being recorded. Same thing
happens if I write a program in Python to do the same.

Is this a known bug and are there any workarounds?

rgrds,
David