[gst-devel] long pauses during rtsp playback

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:32:21 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Doug Crawford <dcraw101 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I purchased an Axis M1011 network camera with h.264 support, but I still
> have
> the same bursty video: 2-3 seconds of faster than realtime video followed
> by
> a 3-4 second pause.

this, I assume, still happens only when the sink element you use is not
synchronising output buffers (sync=false).

> Here is the output of "gst-launch --gst-debug-level=2 -v rtspsrc
> location=rtsp://10.5.5.34/axis-media/media.amp ! rtph264depay ! TIViddec2
> codecName=h264dec engineName=codecServer ! fakesink"
> http://pastebin.com/xzbMutQH

I don't see anything wrong with buffer sizes, durations and timestamps. That
is, I see no timing issues in the buffers arriving to the sink.

> I tried adding an identity element "gst-launch --gst-debug-level=2 rtspsrc
> location=rtsp://10.5.5.34/axis-media/media.amp ! rtph264depay ! queue !
> TIViddec2 codecName=h264dec engineName=codecServer ! identity
> check-perfect=true ! TIDmaiVideoSink videoStd=VGA videoOutput=LCD
> sync=false".  But identity was completely silent.

well, as timing appears to be fine, identity shouldn't really have anything
to complain about.

> Here is an interesting post in the TI forums explaining why there is a big
> pause before seeing the first frame when using TIVideDec2
>
> https://gstreamer.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/forum/?_forum_action=ForumMessageBrowse&thread_id=3676&action=ForumBrowse&forum_id=187

So I understand the decoder is buffering a fixed 1.5 MB of data,
disregarding the bitrate and actual frame size.. let me say it appears to me
more a bug than a feature. This may be a reasonable cause for the sink
dropping buffer in case the decoder element is not propagating a right
latency info. Just out of curiosity, wouldn't gst-dsp be compatible with
your receiver side architecture?

Another idea: as BaseSink has a
max-lateness<http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-libs/html/GstBaseSink.html#GstBaseSink--max-lateness>property,
probably TIDmaiVideoSink has it as well, so you may try to set it
to a reasonably high value to get a smooth (but 2 sec in late) video. A
simple:

gst-inspect TIDmaiVideoSink

will tell you whether the property is supported or not.

Regards