[gst-devel] Can't record audio fast enough problems

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:37:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM, David Klasinc <bigwhale at lubica.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> if someone could shed some light on this. I am trying to capture my
> screen and record audio from pulse or alsa source. I am working on
> python application and I get the same behavior in python app and if I
> use gst-launch.
>
> Here's the command line I use:
>
> gst-launch ximagesrc endx=1680 endy=1050 use-damage=false \
> show-pointer=true ! videorate ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=25/1 ! \
> ffmpegcolorspace ! queue ! schroenc rate-control=lossless ! queue ! \
> mux. pulsesrc ! audio/x-raw-int ! audiorate ! \
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100 ! flacenc ! queue ! mux. matroskamux \
> name=mux ! queue ! filesink location="test.mkv"
>
> No matter what codecs I used for audio or video and no matter what
> compression level I tried, I always ended up with the error:
>
> WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSrc:pulsesrc0:
> Can't record audio fast enough
> gstbaseaudiosrc.c(822): gst_base_audio_src_create
> (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSrc:pulsesrc0:
> Dropped 1054240 samples. This is most likely because downstream can't
> keep up and is consuming samples too slowly.

If the message appears only a few times at the beginning of the recording
operation it's not something I would worry about. Basically, during the
initialisation phase of the elements in the pipeline, load may increase and
pulsesrc may see high latencies in the source element for a while. If
instead the message is continuous you may try reducing the overall CPU load
by e.g. increasing the output bitrates of the encoders.

Regards