[gst-devel] rtpbin + mpegtsmux

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Sep 20 15:51:17 CEST 2010

On 09/20/2010 05:36 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 09/18/2010 10:51 AM, Marc Leeman wrote:
>>> Sadly, even though the server is pumping out data, I don't see
>>> anything at the client (my xvimagesink window never opens up)
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or how to diagnose this?
>>
>> You�e probably not sending the data for the decoder to start decoding
>> (NAL 7/8). Try starting the decoder before the sender and see if you get
>> video decoded.
>>
>> If so, add a recent h264parser in the chain and it should remultiplex
>> the correct data into the stream for the decoder to start decoding.
>
> I am already using the very latest release of everything.
> gstreamer 0.10.30
> gst-plugins-good 0.10.25
> gst-plugins-base 0.10.30
> gst-plugins-bad 0.10.20
> gst-plugins-ugly 0.10.16
>
>> Why are you first putting your data into TS and then again in RTP?
>
> Because that's what the customer wants :-)
>
> My understanding is that TS is a container that will eventually contain
> both video and audio and is not network worthy by itself, hence the RTP
> (RealTime [network] protocol)

That said, I've also tried this with a raw H264 stream and the same
thing happens.

As I've pointed out, these pipelines do not even work reliably on
my desktop system all the time.  Using just the raw H264 stream, I
stream out and in on my desktop, using the local network (127.0.0.1)
While it may work, even for a while, after some time the receiver no
longer gets new frames (motion stops).

Is there some way to get useful debug information on this?  I don't
see any messages about the RTP stream until level 4 and then it's
too low level to interpret easily.  I'd like to know when packets
come in, how they are parsed, passed on, etc, where the keyframes
are, etc.  This sort of data doesn't seem to show up in the debug
data.