[gst-devel] H264 problems

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Sep 21 00:11:08 CEST 2010

Based on the previous discussions, I'm trying to get the H264
encoding to work in the simplest of cases.  In this light, I'm
trying to just grab some data and encode it.  I have two pipeline
setups with different encoders.  One works and the other just
stalls.

Why would this one work
   gst-launch -v v4l2src num-buffers=200 ! 'video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=480' ! \
      TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer ! filesink location=/tmp/test.h264
and this one stall?
   gst-launch -v v4l2src num-buffers=200 ! 'video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=480,format=(fourcc)UYVY' ! \
     ffmpegcolorspace ! 'video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=480,format=(fourcc)I420' ! x264enc ! filesink location=/tmp/hold.h264

I checked and there is [plenty of] definitely data going into x264enc

Note: the extra ffmpegcolorspace step is there to massage the data
format since my sensor can only do UYVY, but x264enc can only handle
I420.

These components are all from the latest released versions.

n.b. I was told to ask on IRC, but that's not really an option
for me, so this mailing list is my access.

Thanks