[gst-devel] EOS only on SIGINT and not on socket error causes file created by 'filesink' element to be invalid

Robert Krakora robkrakora at att.net
Wed Sep 29 03:28:42 CEST 2010

Hello All,

When I execute this pipeline from the command line...

 gst-launch -e rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.1.211:8109/camera.sdp !
rtpmp4vdepay ! mpeg4videoparse ! mp4mux ! filesink location=myfile

...and send a SIGINT to the process I get a file that is playable because I
specified the '-e' which indicates that EOS on shutdown.

However, if I execute the same pipeline from the command line and remove the
RTSP server (i.e. force a socket error) the process exits without performing an
EOS on shutdown.  A quick look at the code in "gst-launch.c" confirmed my
suspicion that EOS on shutdown is only performed on a SIGINT.  What if my
application has recorded valuable video data and the network goes down, does
this mean I have lost all of that data since the file will not be viewable due
to the absence of EOS on shutdown processing on anything that is not a SIGINT?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

--
Rob Krakora