leaky queue: up or down? (choppy sound)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 12:59:21 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have some tcp sound pipelines like these:
* sender:
SOMESRC ! vorbisenc ! gdppay ! queue leaky=downstream ! tcpserverssink
host=192.168.42.222 port=20222

* receiver:
tcpclientsrc host=192.168.123.222 port=20222 ! queue leaky=upstream !
gdpdepay ! vorbisdec  ! pulsesink

I had added the leaky queues because the clients may take a few seconds
before connecting and I want them to get the sound without much of a
delay (1 second is ok), dropping what they missed before connecting if
needed.

I must be misunderstanding the way "queue" leaks because when it does I
get choppy sound that doesn't go away until the client re-connects.
I tried up/down stream without much luck. Or maybe it is not in the
right location in the pipeline?

Thanks
Antoine