Integrating our jpeg2000 hardware codec inside gstreamer.

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 02:50:58 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 17:54 +0200, CBU wrote:
[...]
> My questions:
>
> -           Since our board can act as a “decoder-only” and as a
> “decoder+sdi video sink”, I guess I should have two elements in my
> plugin: “myjpeg2000decoder and myjpeg2000sdisink” ?
> "myjpeg2000sdisink" would need to support up to two input pads (for
> playing 3D content). Is this the right way to do it?

  You should create separate elements for the decoder and for the sdi
sink. Doing a decoder+sink combo has only brought problems in the past.
  Note:
  * There are some SDI elements already in bad, might be worth looking
at them and maybe extending those.
  * As long as your sink can recognize the decoded memory is already
"on-board" you won't need to do card<=>mainmemory back and forth.

> -           Is this easy for gstreamer to keep my audio/video in sync
> when using “unrelated” sources (multifilesrc +wav filesrc  , audiomxf
> +videomxf, … instead of the a typical source with one avi file
> containing audio and video)?

  Yes

>  What could happen to this sync if a “seek” is applied on the
> pipeline?

  The seek will be sent to all sinks present in the pipeline, and
therefore through all sub-graphs of the pipeline.

> -           Since the movie player TOTEM uses GStreamer and it has the
> basic features we need (seek, playlist), is there a way to make it run
> our pipelines? I guess it would be possible if playbin was aware of
> how to play our content ?

  If you have separate decoder and sink elements it should just-work
with playbin2.
  Note:
  * Test whether your plugins work by not only using hand-crafted
pipelines, but also decodebin2 and playbin2.

> -           About performances of “autovideosink”: do I have a chance
> of being able to play in realtime 1920x1080 @ 30 fps (RGB24 or YUYV)
> on any of the videosink provided with gstreamer (a quick test
> gst-launch videotestsrc ! autovideosink in 1920x1080 is not realtime
> on my i7 with 6gigs RAM on Ubuntu10.04)?

  I'm pretty sure that if you profile it ... you'll see 99% of the cpu
is taken by videotestsrc :)

  Plenty of people watch (and even edit!) full HD videos with GStreamer.

> -           Any idea, suggestion or other thing you think I should
> take into account?
>

> -           What about the complexity of the whole work ?

  There are already plenty of examples of video decoders and video sinks
you can base your work on.
  As for complexity ... some people find writing a "hello world" example
hard, and some others find writing a multimedia framework easy. Can't
really answer that.