GST objects are limited in size by 64K

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Thu Aug 4 17:19:45 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 03:50:40PM -0700, Max Paklin wrote:
> I've recently stumbled upon a case when one of our elements exceeded 64K in
> size (I deal with a lot of legacy pre-GST code, so this issue is an artifact
> of that).

> I have a question. Am I the only one who thinks that 16 bit object size
> limitation is misplaced in 21st century?

The 64 kB limitation is built into the GObject ABI.  Yes it sucks, but
it's also easy to work around.

> I know I should probably take this up to glib folks,

You could, but it probably wouldn't go very far, since this is a
known ABI problem and can't be fixed without an ABI break.  It would
be nice, however, if there was a warning or assertion with large
instance sizes.  Please file a bug report on glib about that.

David