[SPAM (Keyword)] - Re: [GST-DEVEL][SPAM (Keyword)] - Re: UDPSINK Documentation, onlinevs. gst-inspect

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Aug 23 09:20:08 PDT 2011

On 08/23/11 15:12, Wesley J. Miller wrote:
> *
> *
>
>     On 08/22/11 23:53, Wesley J. Miller wrote:
>>     *
>>     *
>>
>>         On 08/22/11 19:42, Wesley J. Miller wrote
>>

>>         Where are you missing them. I can see them:
>>         http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-multiudpsink.html#gst-plugins-good-plugins-multiudpsink.signals
>>
>>         They are coming from the baseclass.
>>
>>         Stefan
>>
>>     I looked
>>     here: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-udpsink.html
>>
>>     After searching for udpsink not multiudpsink.
>
>     okay baby steps:
>     1.) you look here:
>     http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-udpsink.html
>     2.) while you don't see the signal you are looking for do:
>       2a.) go to parentclass in the [Object Hierarchy]. GstUdpSink
>     is-a GstMultiUDPSink is-a GstbaseSink is-a GstElement is-a
>     GstObject is-a GObject.
>
>     Stefan
>

> Thus I know the answer to what should be my original question, why
> does GST-INSPECT show it while the online docs do not.  GST-INSPECT
> knows to follow the family tree uphill.
Excuse me but why are bananas yellow and strawberries not? gst-inspect
has nothing to do with the api-docs. The api docs are generated html. If
someone adds a signal to a base class, how should that magically appear
in all the pregenerated html pages for packages containing subclasses?

> However, this does raise the question, why wouldn't the online docs
> also show the same information.  Surely the automated stuff that
> produces the online docs could either follow the tree or at least list
> links to the tree.  I, and our fellow gentle readers, now know — are
> reminded — to climb the family tree, but newvies don't know this and
> won't likely find this post without a bit of luck.  Could the lowest
> level docs at least mention that other properties and signals may be
> availabe?  Or better "…available here ->http://whatever"?

Its all linked. If you have a feasible idea how to improve, please let
me know. Coincidence or not, I am happen to be the gtk-doc maintainer.

Stefan