Dropping buffers - hlsdemux ! decodebin2

tomw tomw at ubilix.com
Wed Aug 31 00:51:06 PDT 2011

Hi,

after visiting the issue again and after pulling the latest gstreamer
and gst-plugins from master I was wondering whether the issue would
still exists. Unfortunately it does. Launching a pipeline like:

gst-launch-0.10 playbin2
uri=http://qthttp.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1010qwoeiuryfg/3340_vod.m3u8

or with explicitly specifying the elements:

gst-launch-0.10 souphttpsrc
location=http://qthttp.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1010qwoeiuryfg/3340_vod.m3u8 ! hlsdemux ! decodebin2 ! autovideosink

would run perfectly well for about 3 to 5 minutes and then it starts
dropping frames.
I could not exactly reproduce the time when the dropping of frames
occurs but the issue can be reproduced with different sources with
roughly the same time span until frames are dropped. I've been running
some tests on different machines (32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu) but the
issue is the same.

0:05:29.590567707 12413  0x94c2848 WARN                basesink
gstbasesink.c:2875:gst_base_sink_is_too_late:<videosink-actual-sink-xvimage> warning: There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.
WARNING: from
element /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0/GstBin:vbin/GstAutoVideoSink:videosink/GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage: A lot of buffers are being dropped.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesink.c(2875): gst_base_sink_is_too_late
(): /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0/GstBin:vbin/GstAutoVideoSink:videosink/GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage:

Any idea how to get this solved, or at least what to look for?

thanks,

tomw <tomw at ubilix.com>