unable to seek live recorded file

sivaits4u sivaits4u at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 02:18:21 PST 2011

hi ppl,
I am trying to use gstreamer to record a live streame(audio and video).
I am successful in recording this as an mkv file using matroskamux (h264
+lame). everything works fine able to play with  sync but i am not able to
seek the file while playing.

and my pipeline is here which receives rtp audio video and creates a mkv
file :
gst-launch-0.10 gstrtpbin name=rtpbin latency=200 udpsrc
caps="application/x-rtp,media=(string)video,clock-rate=(int)90000,encoding-name=(string)H264"
port=9000 ! rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_0  rtpbin. ! rtph264depay ! h264parse  !
queue  ! mux. udpsrc port=9001 ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_0  udpsrc
caps="application/x-rtp,media=(string)audio,clock-rate=(int)8000,encoding-name=(string)PCMU"
port=9500 ! rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_1 rtpbin. ! rtppcmudepay ! mulawdec !
audioconvert ! audioresample ! lame ! queue ! mux. udpsrc port=9501 !
rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_1 matroskamux name=mux ! queue !  filesink
location=test.mkv sync=false -v

i am not able to seek it when playing it using any player like vlc

i want to know if there is any option we have specify like do-timestamp=true
anywhere in my pipeline. i tried this option for udpsrc as well but that
didn't work for me.
any timestamping method i have to use ?

can anybody suggest me how to record my stream to seek it like a regualr mp4
or any other file. (anyway using code/cmdline pipliene).
please give me suggestions i will try it.

thanks,
bujji