how to make full use of dual core CPU for camera recording?

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Dec 14 02:59:55 PST 2011

On 12/14/2011 10:29 AM, Zhao, Halley wrote:

> Hi Experts:
>

> On a dual core platform, my gst command line only use half CPU. How
> could I improve recording performance by using more CPU?
>
> Here is my command line:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src !
> video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1 !ffmpegcolorspace
> ! tee name=t t. ! queue ! oggmux name=mux ! queue ! filesink
> location=test.ogv alsasrc device="hw:0" ! queue ! audiorate !
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100 ! audioconvert ! flacenc ! queue ! mux.

This already uses several threads to encode audio and video and write
the muxed stream. Imho the "tee name=t t. ! queue" in front of oggmux is
unused. Also I don't see any video encoder in your pipeline. Using a
multithreaded encoder coudl help to better utilize the available copu
cores (especially if the encoder is heavy).

Stefan