[gst-devel] Increase Performance of Transcoding Pipeline

David Johnston dave.johnston at me.com
Sun Feb 6 19:50:15 CET 2011

As pointed out by someone else the encode can be expensive, so if you can reduce the amount of data to be encoded you can save CPU.

Generally this could mean using the videorate element to reduce the frame rate or videoscale element to reduce the resolution.  Also can you set the bitrate with the H263 encoder?   By default the h264 bitrate is reasonably high - nothing wrong with that, but if you want to reduce the size of the video and save on CPU I would suggest picking something a bit lower.