[gst-devel] Need Advice!!!

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 18:45:45 CET 2011

Hi,

extremely in late, hopefully you've already fixed the implementation,
btw here's my pov.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Anirudh <anirudhtomer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> ( I am not asking anyone to make the project for me  but I am asking to show
> me the right path )
>
> CONTEXT: I am a bachelor's student and I am working on a project where I
> have to transcode a multimedia stream coming from a server on my machine, as
> well as stream it again on the fly to another machine.
>
> Server ----------------> My machine       -------------------------------->
> client machine
>         actual stream     (transcode on the fly)   stream transcoded
>
> I can't store the incoming stream on my machine because the client is
> waiting for it so I have to transcode it on the fly.(live streaming)
>
> For SIMPLICITY I am assuming the i/p stream is in ".mp3" format (only audio)
> and output stream is "vorbis". I am supposed to write the transcoder on my
> own & not use existing ones.

if the server uses a session initiation protocol (I assume you're
using RTP) it may be possible to drop such a requirement.

> WHAT I DONE TILL NOW: Its the first time I have heard of GStreamer and I am
> going through the manuals for application developer and understanding the
> basics and the manuals are really good. I have gone through almost 50 pages.
>
> MY PROBLEM: I want to know how should I proceed with it. So my source would
> be URL (coz as I said my i/p would be coming from a streaming server) and
> sink would be a URL again (if u think I am wrong please correct me here).
> How should I move on. right now I'll be trying to play a stream from
> localhost using a small code and see how it works and then I'll jump onto
> making some complex pipeline structure to solve my problem.

for the receiving side, you can use uridecodebin:

http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-uridecodebin.html

then you can listen for the pad-added signal and dynamically connect
encoder, payloader and rtpbin/udpsink.

In case you want to use a session initiation protocol for the sending
part, you may be lucky and find an already existing implementation
(e.g. http://people.freedesktop.org/~wtay/) or implement it by your
own.

Regards