[gst-devel] What is 'streaming thread'?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 10:44:35 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 00:24 -0800, wl2776 wrote:

> This terms is met in many places of the GStreamer documentation, but I can't
> find its strict definition.
> So, what is it, exactly? Or, please, point to the definition.

Any thread not created by the application, but by GStreamer. Often used
as 'streaming thread' (in which dataflow happens) vs. 'application
thread' (in which things like property setting/getting is usually done,
and state changes). There are usually multiple streaming threads in a
typical GStreamer pipeline. For application writers it rarely matters
which one it is exactly though, just that it's a different thread than
the main application's thread.

Cheers
 -Tim