[gst-devel] kenburns plugin update - now a general video transform plugin

Lane Brooks lane at brooks.nu
Tue Jan 18 17:16:41 CET 2011

I have an updated kenburns plugin with the following changes:

- I dropped the internal controller. Now you use a GstContoller to
control the 'xpos', 'ypos', and 'zpos'.
- I added rotation transforms as well. You can now also control an
'xrot', 'yrot', and 'zrot' parameter.

You can check out a video I put together that show cases these features
at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFm8Rra4xzQ. This video first shows
the translation and rotation features with the 'xpos', 'ypos', 'zpos',
'xrot', 'yrot',and 'zrot' parameters hooked up to LFO's with an stmpe
video test source. It then shows some sample kenburns effects, which use
the 'xpos', 'ypos', and 'zpos' parameters hooked up to linear
interpolating GstControllers. It then shows some sample video
transitions that also make use of the position and rotation parameters
hooked up to linear interpolating GstControllers.

You can still clone the source code at:
    https://github.com/dirjud/kenburns

Given that the feature set has grown beyond Ken Burns effects, I want to
rename this element to something else. I was thinking 'videotransform'
but am open to other suggestions. One reason against videotransform is
that there is already a base class in gstreamer call GstVideoTransform.
It is not exposed to the user, so it only a potential confusion for
developers. But if there is a good name that is not a potential
confusion, I would go with that instead.

After I decide on a new name and hear any additional feedback, I will
post a patch to gst-plugins-bad.

Thanks,
Lane