[gst-devel] Timestamping a video file with gstreamer

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:30:44 CET 2011

Hi,

late reply, I hope it will help anyway..

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM, jeetu.golani at gmail.com
<jeetu.golani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, I'm new to gstreamer and video manipulation and file formats in
> general, therefore forgive me if what I ask is obvious :)
>
> I would like to timestamp a video file sort of like how the timeoverlay and
> clockoverlay elements do. However, I would like the time to begin from the
> time the file was recorded. I'm using MythTV to record video and upon
> recording I would like the file (or a clip) to be transcoded with the
> timestamp - am open to having the final recording in any of the popular
> container formats. My questions:
>
> - Is there a way for me to overlay a user defined time? Can I somehow
> manipulate the buffer or using some means introduce a time into the stream
> using the timeoverlay/clockoverlay elements?

>From what I see in timeoverlay and clockoverlay sources, you'd need to
hack the elements in order to add an initial offset. If you make a
property out of it, there could be some interest for upstream.

As an alternative, you can use a textoverlay and a timer in your
application which makes it change the content (for instance) each
second to the time you prefer.

> - Can I somehow introduce a timestamp in the file container itself and then
> this gets used as the start time?

It looks really hackish and results may be not what you really want
when you try to play back the file again.

Regards