VA plugins?

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 08:53:32 PDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:53:42 +0200
Julien Moutte <julien at fluendo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > So they don't include a postprocess filter which can do things like
> > hardware-accelerated deinterlacing? One of my aims is to playback 1080i
> > DVB and without a deinterlacer the results won't be very good. Does VA
> > support deinterlacing? If not we need a way to deinterlace a VA surface
> > in software. Hopefully it's straightforward to access the "raw" data in
> > a VA surface in a way that existing deinterlacers can work on.
> >

> They actually do, the VA decoder (fluvadec) will produce buffers of a
> specific type containing information like fields. The VA renderer
> (fluvasink, fluvaclutsink) will then use that information to do the
> deinterlacing with the proper VA/VDPAU API.

I didn't realise that, because the open source VDPAU plugin has a
separate element for postprocess/deinterlace. Does anyone know whether
the open VA plugin (Gwenole's?) has automatic deinterlacing like the
Fluendo one?

> The only limitation right now is that we only implemented deinterlacing for
> MPEG2.

That's unfortunate, because HD DVB streams (at least the ones I can
receive) are H264.