Autoplugging

jin jin at sohovfx.com
Fri Jun 17 10:16:58 PDT 2011

Try compiling gstreamer core with --enable-gst-debug=yes flag, set
GST_DEBUG="*:4" in your environment, and launch gst-launch -v playbin2
uri=file://(filepath)

It will spew out whole bunch of debug messages including the bit where
decodebin tries to match the caps of the given video to what gstelementfactory
has.

I recently had issues with gstreamer not picking up a codec that it can
already handle, and implemented workaround for it (for myself).

see this thread for some clues as to how you may approach your issue..

http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/don-t-know-how-to-handle-video-x-
gst-fourcc-dvhp-td3518937.html

disclaimer: I'm a total newbie in gstreamer world, and the above solution is
what I was able to come up with. I cannot guarantee that it is correct, but it
works in my case, though.

On Friday 17 June 2011 1:03:33 pm Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:43:33 +0200
>
> Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
> > On 06/15/11 14:29, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > > The manual's chapter on autoplugging basically says the information in
> > > it is inaccurate and outdated and one should just use playbin or
> > > decodebin, but I don't think you can use vdpau or vaapi with those.
> > > Even if the information didn't have that disclaimer, it's distinctly
> > > lacking in implementation details.
> >
> > Just read the docs anyway including docs/design/*.txt. Autoplugging is
> > not magic, just use signals to get notified about new pads, check the
> > caps and search the registry for compatible elements. Sort the elements
> > by rank and ignore those with rank=0.
>
> Thanks, it's the bit about searching the registry I wasn't clear on.
>
> > It might be better in the long run to figure whats the issue with
> > playbin2 and vaapi/vdpau and make sure we can fix it in 0.10 or at least
> > in 0.11/1.0.
>
> I think they have a very low priority by default, so perhaps an
> application can enable them in playbin(2) simply by reregistering them
> with a high priority? If it's as simple as that it would be nice if
> totem could support it.

Jin
Soho VFX