Autoplugging

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 10:11:34 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 18:43 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:

> Just read the docs anyway including docs/design/*.txt. Autoplugging is
> not magic, just use signals to get notified about new pads, check the
> caps and search the registry for compatible elements. Sort the elements
> by rank and ignore those with rank=0.

No need for that. Uridecodebin can do all that for you if you give ranks
to the appropriate decoders. See e.g. the "autoplug-sort",
"autoplug-select" and "autoplug-continue" signals, but (depending on the
ranks set) just adding the right vaapi/vdpau caps to uridecodebin's
"caps" property might suffice. Then you just need to link it to the
right kind of videosink.

With playbin(2), it's all still a bit awkward though (there's a reason
totem doesn't support it yet).

> It might be better in the long run to figure whats the issue with
> playbin2 and vaapi/vdpau and make sure we can fix it in 0.10 or at least
> in 0.11/1.0.

I think this can be fixed in 0.10, and I expect this to be tackled in
next few months, for what it's worth :)

 Cheers
  -Tim