Autoplugging

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 09:01:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:11:34 +0100
Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 18:43 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
>
> > Just read the docs anyway including docs/design/*.txt. Autoplugging is
> > not magic, just use signals to get notified about new pads, check the
> > caps and search the registry for compatible elements. Sort the elements
> > by rank and ignore those with rank=0.
>
> No need for that. Uridecodebin can do all that for you if you give ranks
> to the appropriate decoders. See e.g. the "autoplug-sort",
> "autoplug-select" and "autoplug-continue" signals, but (depending on the
> ranks set) just adding the right vaapi/vdpau caps to uridecodebin's
> "caps" property might suffice. Then you just need to link it to the
> right kind of videosink.

I think I'll be able to use uridecodebin and/or decodebin2 in this way.
Part of the the problem in my quest for documentation is that most of
the information for decodebin2 is missing from the page in the Debian
package. It looks as if there was a bug when the docs were generated.
And I still don't know how I'd search the registry for compatible
elements, but hopefully I won't need to.