Tips for on the fly video editing

raul cordeiro holanda raulhcordeiro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:55:37 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I already know that gstreamer has video editing capabilities because i
see that PITIVI use it.
I'm studing how to edit videos with gstreamer and i already has a
guess - GNonLin plugin - but i decide to ask them
if i'll can do what i need and i think here is the best place to
discover! Below i say what i need and what i already do.

I has a aplication that generates frames for me and i need implement a
fixed time size video on memory (no file) - in form of a sliding
window.
When my app receives a event notification (a mouse click i.e.), they
need flush this video to file on disk.

1) implement a pipeline that connect my app and gstreamer (with appsrc
plugin); this is OK (tested and validated)
2) implement the video encoding on a give format; this is ok (tested
and validated)
3) implement the sliding window; (how to do that? some simple
examples? to help me start?)
4) Monitor a evento to flush the sliding window to a file on disk (i
already has ideas for this, but tips is always good and welcome!! =)

Below is a single sketch to show what i need.

     video's sliding
        window on
          memmory
|<----------1min---------->|
  |<----------1min---------->|
      |<----------1min---------->|
          |<----------1min---------->|
             |<----------1min---------->|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
(time)

                         event

                       video file
                       to disk!!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

--
Raul Holanda Cordeiro
Celular: +55 (85) 8863-6877

--