Questions on hlsdemux and http server

Davide Milanesio d.milanesio at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:20:15 PDT 2011

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my trivial questions, but I am new in this
mailing list...

I was redirected here after trying to use http://code.google.com/p/hls-player/.

My aim is to create a "simple"(?) gateway receiving a stream based on
Apple HTTP Live Streaming, and then streaming it on the LAN as
standard HTTP streaming, so that also "basic" clients can access.

At first glance, the gst-launch string should look somewhat like the following:

gst-launch hlsdemux
location=http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/bipbopall.m3u8
! tcpserversink port=80

but I have the following issues:

1) Pipeline error: hlsdemux not found. In fact, in my Ubuntu
distribution, the latest available version of
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is 0.10.18, while on the documentation page
it should be 0.10.22.1. How to download such release? Do I need to
grab the source and recompile GStreamer?

2) hlsdemux not documented: is there some documentation available?
(Google did not help...)

3) Why is there a tcpserversink and not a httpserversink? Is it common
to have TCP streaming? (e.g. it is not available on VLC)

4) tcpserversink port=80 does not work on my PC, I need to use a
different port: is it my fault?

Thanks for your pacience!!