http live sources with playbin2

Julian Scheel julian at jusst.de
Wed Apr 4 12:16:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to get a smooth experience with playbin2 and http streams,
which are actually live sources. So no files, which could be prebuffered
very much, but mpegts live streams.
Actually with playbin2 and souphttpsrc, using buffering flag
(flags=0x160) it takes about 6 seconds before stream playback starts.

About 4 seconds the buffer fill jumps between 0 and 1, then it starts to
buffer as expected and takes ~2 seconds until it finally starts to play.

This behaviour does not improve if I set is-live property of the source
element on source-setup signal to true.

Has someone an idea why it takes these 4 seconds before buffer actually
starts to fill? I am sure that the server is providing data at that
point already, because VLC can start playback immediately.

Every thought or guess is welcome :)

-Julian