How to match 'common' git hash to project release snapshot

Endejan, Edward Edward.Endejan at dmh-global.com
Wed Apr 4 13:23:58 PDT 2012

Is there an easy way to map a release snapshot tarball from one of the projects (gstreamer core, gst-plugins-base/good/bad/ugly, etc) back to a git hash for the common repository? I think it is rather straightforward to find the matching git hash for the project itself based on the release number and tag, but how do I match the files in the 'common' subdirectory?

For example, I'm trying to identify the git hashes associated with RELEASE-0.10.16 of the gst-plugins-good project so that I can get an exact copy of the source code contained in gst-plugins-good-RELEASE-0.10.16.tar.gz from the git repositories of gstreamer/gst-plugins-good and gstreamer/common. I believe the proper git hash for the project can be found by simply using the web interface to the git repository, selecting the release tag, selecting the 'tagged object' link, which then displays the 'commit' hash I want (0efa34f0d5693c0deebbbb69b210103c0e421f30). This will get me all the correct source files except those in the 'common' subdirectory. How do I find the corresponding git hash for the gstreamer/common repository?

I have tried using the dates of the 'common' files from the tarball, but that doesn't seem to be a reliable method.

Thanks,
Ed