Convert a video to another format

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:34:56 PDT 2012

Hi,

Please post your entire pipeline, not just a general description of
the problem. If your code is open source, post the code. Your verbal
description of the pipeline doesn't say whether you linked the
elements together; whether you applied the necessary conversion
elements (audioconvert and ffmpegcolorspace, for example); or whether
there are other problems in your code. We can't tell any more from an
"errore generico" than you can -- something is wrong. We need code to
know more.

Also keep in mind that there are many open source projects that
already exist, which can perform simple conversion tasks such as this
without having to write any code. A lot of people try to use gstreamer
"from scratch" as if other solutions don't already exist, but they do.
Unless you're doing something very special / exotic that isn't covered
by existing tools, there's no (convincing) reason to write your own
script, unless you simply want to learn.

Also, I'm curious why you're doing audio and video encoding if you
just want to change container formats? You didn't specify what your
desired input and output codecs are, and it's entirely possible that
you may be using the wrong decoders for the input file. WebM and AVI
are container formats, not codecs; each one can contain a variety of
audio and video codecs. You'll generally need to have some knowledge
of what your input and output codecs are going to look like.

Also, you might be able to cut down on the complexity of your code
(depending on your use case) by using encodebin. Take a look:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-encodebin.html

Sean