Finding out if a file is an (image|audio|video)?

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Sat Apr 7 08:12:31 PDT 2012

   Hi!

I'm working on gst123, a media player based on gstreamer. One function is to
shuffle play all files in a directory. Usually it could be used on a directory
containing music files. I use playbin2 for the actual playback. Now the problem

  http://code.google.com/p/gst123/issues/detail?id=1

is that if that directory also contains images (for instance album covers),
these will be briefly shown, before the next music file starts. This is probably
not what the user wants.

I could blacklist some extensions (*.jpg, *.png, ...) to avoid this. But it
would be a lot more elegant if I could use some GStreamer API functions to find
out whether something is an image, an audio file or a video file, and simply
skip those files that are images. Can GStreamer tell me what type a file has?

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan