1080p videotestsrc maxes out CPU

gtissington gtissington at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:45:40 PDT 2012

Hi,

Just a question about how CPU usage, multi-threading, etc.

I use this pipeline:

    gst-launch videotestsrc do-timestamp="true" !
               capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv,width=1280,height=720" !
               timeoverlay !
               autovideosink

my core i5 cpu shows 18% utilization ( that is about 80% or so of one core)

then I try this

    gst-launch videotestsrc do-timestamp="true" !
               capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv,width=1920,height=1080" !
               timeoverlay !
               autovideosink

my cpu shows 25% utilization  (100% of 1 core).  But Gstreamer warns that
"There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow." and the
test pattern appears to be at about 1 frame per 2 seconds.

Is there a way to get Gstreamer to use the other cores?
Is there any way to get this work optimized for the GPU?

Thanks,

Garth