1080p videotestsrc maxes out CPU

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Wed Apr 11 09:52:50 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012, gtissington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a question about how CPU usage, multi-threading, etc.
>
> I use this pipeline:
>
>     gst-launch videotestsrc do-timestamp="true" !
>                capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv,width=1280,height=720" !
>                timeoverlay !
>                autovideosink
>
> my core i5 cpu shows 18% utilization ( that is about 80% or so of one core)
>
> then I try this
>
>     gst-launch videotestsrc do-timestamp="true" !
>                capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv,width=1920,height=1080" !
>                timeoverlay !
>                autovideosink
>
> my cpu shows 25% utilization  (100% of 1 core).  But Gstreamer warns that
> "There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow." and the
> test pattern appears to be at about 1 frame per 2 seconds.
>

> Is there a way to get Gstreamer to use the other cores?
> Is there any way to get this work optimized for the GPU?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Garth

This exact pipeline works on my dual core laptop with about 20% load.
Depending on where I look I get either "cpu load 0.23" (from w) or
about 30% load at 50% cpu speed from each core (kde load widget).

If both cores are fully loaded my cpu load is 200%. The load numbers have
become pretty meaningless unless you specify exactly what 100% means.
Different tools seem to have different definitions.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT