Read stream sent with gstreamer with VLC?

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Fri Aug 3 06:45:32 PDT 2012

SDP is mainly used with SIP and SAP. However, it is also used with RTSP.
Are you planning to use your Gstreamer pipeline as an RTSP server? If so,
then you would need it. I don't know how to handle the signaling if you are
using RTP. If you were using the video stream within a SIP
connection/conference, then you would have a caps exchange using SDP so
that the RTP signaling would just work. I don't know at the moment (anyone
please help both of us) how to establish a connection with RTP.

A SDP is simply a text file that describes the media stream, but it does
have a specific format. You can google it and probably get tons of
examples. H264 video generally uses payload type 96.