Confusion about Mac OSX / opengl gstreamer

Gerard Toonstra gtoonstra at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 07:53:18 PDT 2012

Hello,

I've been using gstreamer on Linux with great satisfaction. Recently I
acquired a Mac and wanted to see how easy it would be to rebuild the
application using the Cocoa layouts, preserving as much as possible of the
architecture, but upgrading some user interface elements here and there.

I have an rtsp video stream that's transmitted wirelessly and which, on
Linux, is displayed straight onto the window frame. It is using the
glimagesink for this purpose, so that I can add some relatively simple 3D
elements to this video. I'm using gstreamer, because this allows me to have
control over latency and other parameters, which are important here.

I was looking to do the same thing on the Mac OSX and have finally managed
to get this compiling in Xcode using the excellent mac OSX install packages
here:

http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Installing+on+Mac+OS+X

In some testing, I inadvertently had a mix of macports still available on
the system, which caused me to think that glimagesink was available, but
later discovered my flaw. It seems that the glimagesink plugin is not
available in the SDK version. Is this not supposed to be used anymore or
are there other issues on Mac?  The code did seem to have a specific
"cocoa" example/test available.

What I'm looking for is how to make a simple application with a couple of
gui elements and a large OpenGL component in the middle that plays the
video and also allows me to perform some additional, custom drawing over
that. Ideally, this should a subclass of NSOpenGLView that I can drag onto
a window and through some additional code hook up to a gstreamer pipeline
and start playing. Most examples I saw create their own main windows and
then use the entire area for drawing, which is not what I want to use.
Also, a lot of examples were written prior to ARC and some other
improvements on Mac OSX.

If that's a yes, is there a general strategy for hooking up the
NSOpenGLView to a gstreamer pipeline without creating a window in code in a
separate "main" window in C code?  The idea is to just use the more
Apple-like NIB files to define the windows and restrict the GStreamer stuff
within the UI component. I'd like to have as little impact as possible on
the Mac development process/XCode.

Thanks for your help,

--
Gerard Toonstra