Python gstreamer for custom data

Fred Stakem stake75 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:55:24 PDT 2012

I am relatively new to gstreamer and I was hoping someone could help me. I have looked through some documentation and done some reading but i wanted to get some advice before I put a lot of more time into this. I am trying to stream some custom mocap data(not the raw video) across the network and I was looking at gstreamer as possibly helping me do thins instead of writing everything from scratch. Is it straight forward to stream a custom time varying data type from a file or memory with the python bindings? What is the difficulty level of this? If gstreamer is a good fit for this type of application how would you approach the problem? I don't mind being shown the documentation but it would be helpful if someone explained what portions are most important and what needs to be considered.
Fred