MKV \ channel two tracks (English & French) simultaneously to different outputs : EN > speakers, FR > headphones

Alex Alab Artemiev causemen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 04:37:53 PDT 2012

Hello everybody!
My  name  is Alex, I'm an extensive mkv files user, but it's the first time ever I'm asking an mkv related question.
I've got many bilingual movies (Eng+French) and I wish I could watch them in French while everybody else I'm watching them with is listening to the English track.
For instance, so that I could have my French track channeled to my headphones and the English one channeled to the speakers for my friends.
Searching for a solution, I addressed matroska-users at lists.matroska.org
They recommended me to try GStreamer. That's why I'm asking this question here.
Can GStreamer do this kind of channeling? Is it practicable?
I'm using an E-MU sound card with multiple outputs.
Looking forward to reading back from you.
Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Alex