Is it possible to let gstreamer to detect plugins dynamically

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 15:39:01 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 02:06 +0800, Gywx wrote:

Hi,

> I am using totem and using gstreamer as it's backends to play video and
> music. As I know after the application launched, gstreamer will begin
> to do initialization and load the plugins from the cache automatically.
>
> My question is if gstreamer has the functionality to detect and load
> new plugin dynamically after the application launched. If so, how to do
> this.

> Now my application always say "Location not found" after install
> the additional plugins from online. I need close the application and
> restart it. only after that the video play works as expect.
>
> I am using Ubuntu12.04.1(X86) , totem 3.0.1;  gstreamer 0.10

When you say "my application", do you mean totem, or an application you
have written yourself.

GStreamer should be able to support that fine. For example, after Totem
has triggered the automatic installation of some missing plugins, and
they were installed successfully, it should call gst_update_registry(),
which in turn should re-scan the available plugins and pick up any new
ones.

If that doesn't work, that's probably a bug somewhere, and you should
file a bug in the Ubuntu bug tracker about this then.

 Cheers
  -Tim