Is it possible to let gstreamer to detect plugins dynamically

Gywx gywxme at sina.com
Wed Dec 5 05:55:12 PST 2012

Hi Tim,

Very happy to get your reply on my question. Yes, the application is Totem.

I am just wondering if GStreamer support this future. That's really a good news for me.

Very appreciated your detail explanation about how GStreamer to re-scan the new plugins after
installation installed successfully from online.

Since I am not using the latest version of GStreamer.
Then my further question is how to identify this and if there is a user land tool to help me to verify it.

Yes, the problem is a little bit complicated in my environment.
Because the GStreamer, Totem, Gnome are mixed together.

Expect your valuable reply here.  :-[

-- Bear

On 12/5/2012 7:39 AM, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 02:06 +0800, Gywx wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I am using totem and using gstreamer as it's backends to play video and
>> music. As I know after the application launched, gstreamer will begin
>> to do initialization and load the plugins from the cache automatically.
>>
>> My question is if gstreamer has the functionality to detect and load
>> new plugin dynamically after the application launched. If so, how to do
>> this.
>> Now my application always say "Location not found" after install
>> the additional plugins from online. I need close the application and
>> restart it. only after that the video play works as expect.
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu12.04.1(X86) , totem 3.0.1;  gstreamer 0.10
> When you say "my application", do you mean totem, or an application you
> have written yourself.
>
> GStreamer should be able to support that fine. For example, after Totem
> has triggered the automatic installation of some missing plugins, and
> they were installed successfully, it should call gst_update_registry(),
> which in turn should re-scan the available plugins and pick up any new
> ones.
>
> If that doesn't work, that's probably a bug somewhere, and you should
> file a bug in the Ubuntu bug tracker about this then.
>   Cheers
>    -Tim

-- Bear