Playing pipeline state changes when adding elements

Paul Stuart paul_stuart at seektech.com
Mon Feb 20 09:19:01 PST 2012

Hi,
 I am missing something about how Gstreamer manages states. I have a
pipeline that looks roughly like:

videosrc-->tee--> queue-->displaySink

                      ---> queue-->valve

When I initially start the pipeline, valve drop is set to true
Later I add a couple elements off the valve like so:

videosrc-->tee--> queue-->displaySink

                      ---> queue-->valve-->imageEncoder-->FileSink

I set FileSink to PLAYING after it is linked and then open the valve.
When FileSink transitions to playing, the whole pipeline goes to PAUSED
state and then transitions back to PLAYING. Is this normal and expected?
Is there a way to prevent this from happening when I add an element to a
PLAYING pipeline?

Thanks,
Paul