Playbin2 High CPU usage (OS X, 10.7.4)

sam scedarbaum at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:25:16 PDT 2012

Hello,

I've recently been trying to use GStreamer (of with which I've had little
experience) for general playback of video files.  I am using Playbin2 for
the bulk of my media processing.  I began noticed extremely high CPU usage
durring video playback in the main application I am working on.  To try and
narrow down the issue I created a more bare-bones application with just
PlayBin2 and a video-sink that outputs to a JFrame.  However, I stil
experienced CPU usages upwards of 100% CPU when playing an mp4 file (Codecs:
H.264, AAC, Resolution: 1280 × 720).  Quicktime and VLC handle the same file
with ~10-30% and ~55-60% CPU usage, respectively.

I am using the Java wrapper for GStreamer (
http://code.google.com/p/gstreamer-java/
http://code.google.com/p/gstreamer-java/ ) and my setup consists of
Playbin2/Pipeline it creates and a VideoComponent as the video-sink
(VideoComponent is a Canvas component for drawing within Java and seems to
use a autovideosink as its interface to GStreamer).

Any suggestions on how to perform performance with Playbin2 would be greatly
appreciated.  I'd be happy to provide anymore information if needed.

Thanks,
Sam