problem playing video from rtsp source generated by VLC

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Wed Jul 11 14:46:46 PDT 2012

I am working to replace a VLC implementation with gstreamer. The first case
I am working on is streaming video from VLC via rtsp to another system. I
am using gst-launch to prototype the approach. VLC receives and displays
the video in this situation. I am failing to link my gstreamer pipeline. I
tried using playbin2 which also failed though it got *MUCH* further. So, I
am trying to use the debug output from that run (GST_DEBUG=...) to figure
out which filters playbin2 is loading and in which order. Do I need to
specify each component that the debug output indicates as successfully
linked (ex: linked rtpsession0:recv_rtp_src and rtpssrcdemux0:sink,
successful)? I don't recognize most of these components so I am not sure
how to do so. But when I tried it manually these were not listed and the
process didn't get as far.

My command line with playbin2 is: gst-launch -v playbin2
uri=rtsp://x.x.x.x/video.sdp  This fails with the following warning:
0:00:01.085163881 16819 0x7fc870009d90 WARN            uridecodebin
gsturidecodebin.c:867:unknown_type_cb:<uridecodebin0> warning: No decoder
available for type 'video/x-h264, stream-format=(string)byte-stream,
alignment=(string)nal'.

I suspect that it needs mpeg2dec at this point, which is what I would like
to try manually after I figure out what plug-ins to link.

Thank you in advance for help!

Chuck