problem in gstreamer and decoding h264 files

stergios stergios.gr.it at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:51:49 PDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I use ubuntu linux and I want to build a video decoder for H.264 files (e.g.
test_video.264) using gstreamer. I am really new in this framework, so I
would appreciate any help.

I tried the code of basic-tutorial-1 from the page
http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735

While I play webm files I cannot play .264 files. I also noticed I cannot
play .mp4 files too.
I guess I miss a codec or a link to the right codec.

However I can play these files with Movie Player (I was asked to download
some codecs and updates when I first tried to play them).

I have also installed GStreamer FFmpeg plug-in from this page:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/modules/gst-ffmpeg.html

Can you suggest me any solutions?

Thanks a lot,
Stergios