Is there a gstreamer element that can get video stream/feed from camera on Android device?

Marko Matić cipiripper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:43:04 PDT 2012

I have developed a flat-ass, finger-top-numbness and a hair loss while:

1. building gstreamer_ndk_bundle for android-8 platform
2. making JNA work on android
3. making gstreamer-java work on android

And now when I got all that working, and wanting to do a simple task I am
failing. xD

Can I even use this to capture video from camera under Android? There is no
v4l2src element in gstreamer_ndk_bundle, so I guess that cameras on Android
don't support it.

Under /dev on phone I have /dev/msm_camera - can I somehow use this to get
cameras video stream?

Has anyone been able to make this happen?

What element should I use?

I tried to use autovideosrc and I get fake-video-src used in the
pipeline... Camerabin, camerabin2, wrappercamerabinsrc are not doing a
thing.