Problem in "mad" plugin for "armv7l" architecture

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:00:46 PDT 2012

Thanks Tim for the reply.

Well, the rest of the plugins being used are of version 0.10.0, so I
used the corresponding location for gst-plugins-bad
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-plugins-ugly/gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.0.tar.gz

Upgrading "all" gstreamer-plugins (core, base, good, ugly) would only
be an absolutely last resort :|

Anyhow, I tried another sequence of steps ::

Since I am wanting to have "MPEG 1 Audio, Layer 3 (MP3)" files played
on a armv7l-based F14 (Fedora 14); (these files play flawlessly on my
x86-based F14machine), I tried as follows ::

a.
I tried to figure out the difference in behaviour; and got the answer
via "gst-inspect".

b.
"gst-inspect" amongst many things, has an output "ffmpeg:  ffdec_mp3:
FFmpeg MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3) decoder" on the x86-F14 machine, but
no such output is seen on the armv7l-based F14 machine.

c.
Doing "rpm -qa | grep "gstreamer-ffmpeg" confirmed that the plugin was
present on x86-based F14, but not on armv7l-based F14.

d.
I downloaded the source-ball from
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-ffmpeg/gst-ffmpeg-0.10.0.tar.gz,
untarred it on the armv7l-based F14.

e.
After many huffs and puffs, I was able to complete "make install" on
the armv7l-based F14; and ensured that "libgstffmpeg.so" was present
in
"/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/"

f.
Rebooted armv7l-based F14.

g.
Did "gst-inspect".

h.
Found "ffmpeg:  ffdec_mp3: FFmpeg MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3) decoder" in
the output of "gst-inspect".

i.
Now, when I play the mp3 file (in totem), it plays BUT STOPS AFTER 3-5
seconds (this is not a race condition, happens always).
I tried running the file without any visual effects, but same result.

j.
If I remove "/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstffmpeg.so", I get the usual
"missing required codec" popup.

So, it seems that "libgstffmpeg.so" does the work, but not completely.

Ideas please...
I will be grateful :|

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 19:44 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:

> Ping... :)

Because no one has answered in almost 6 hours? That's not really how
mailing lists work..

You could try more recent release of GStreamer first.

 Cheers
 -Tim