mutlifilesink, GST_MULTI_FILE_SINK_NEXT_MAX_SIZE and post-messages

Jose Armando josearmando147 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 00:17:04 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am developing a small application that captures an audio  stream from internet and then splits it in chucks with constant size. This is fairly easy, except that I want when a file is written to create a second file containing metadata. According to the documentation, if the post-messages option is set to TRUE I should receive a message on the bus that says a new file was created along with some additional information. However, I receive no messages. To ensure that I didn't overlook something I tried the gst-launch utility. Concretelly, if I run

gst-launch-0.10  -m  mmssrc location=mms://netradio !  multifilesink post-messages=true location=segment_%05d index=5 next-file=0 max-file-size=500000

everything works fine, a new file for each buffer is created (next-file=0) and a message for every new file is printed

however if I run

gst-launch-0.10  -m  mmssrc location=mms://netradio !  multifilesink post-messages=true location=segment_%05d index=5 next-file=4 max-file-size=500000

where now next-file=4 (meaning  GST_MULTI_FILE_SINK_NEXT_MAX_SIZE) the generated files have the specified size (500000 bytes) but no messages are posted. I am using GStreamer 0.10.36 . Does anyone know why this happens?

many thx
Jose