mutlifilesink, GST_MULTI_FILE_SINK_NEXT_MAX_SIZE and post-messages

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 01:13:41 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 00:17 -0800, Jose Armando wrote:

Hi,

> I am developing a small application that captures an audio  stream
> from internet and then splits it in chucks with constant size. This is
> fairly easy, except that I want when a file is written to create a
> second file containing metadata. According to the documentation, if
> the post-messages option is set to TRUE I should receive a message on
> the bus that says a new file was created along with some additional
> information. However, I receive no messages.  (...) if I run
>
> gst-launch-0.10  -m  mmssrc location=mms://netradio !  multifilesink
> post-messages=true location=segment_%05d index=5 next-file=4
> max-file-size=500000
>
> where now next-file=4 (meaning  GST_MULTI_FILE_SINK_NEXT_MAX_SIZE) the
> generated files have the specified size (500000 bytes) but no messages
> are posted. I am using GStreamer 0.10.36 . Does anyone know why this
> happens?

It's not implemented. The code passes a NULL buffer to
gst_multi_file_sink_close_file(), which makes it skip the message
posting. I guess the reason might be that all the timestamps in the
message are more useful if you have a whole file per buffer, otherwise
you just get values for the last buffer in the file.

Anyway, I've made it post a message for max-size mode as well now in
git.

Cheers
 -Tim