matroska subtitle

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Fri Oct 5 17:35:09 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 13:33 -0700, marisk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a video stream and some text files. I like to add the text files as
> subtitles to the video stream and mux using matroskamux and demux at the
> other end. How do I achieve this?
>
> I tried the following
>
> gst-launch videotestsrc num-buffers=1 ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! matroskamux name=mux !
> filesink location=s.mkv filesrc location=my.txt ! mux.
>
> But I am not able to demux and get the subtitle string out to a text file.

You need a subtitle parser element between the filesrc and the muxer,
and a subtitle format that matroskamux supports - which is only the Kate
subtitle format in 0.10. Matroskamux in 1.0 supports more:

  SINK template: 'subtitle_%d'
    Availability: On request
      Has request_new_pad() function: gst_matroska_mux_request_new_pad
    Capabilities:
      subtitle/x-kate
      text/x-raw
                 format: utf8