hardware video encoding with gstreamer -- any recommendations?

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:57:15 PDT 2012

> I have been having luck with the decklink but the only reason I am using
> it is because it does sdi.

If i'm not mistaken, decklink captures, doesn't encode.

Hardware accelerated encoding just isn't really possible on gstreamer
(yet), except on the embedded space (TI only, see
http://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/gstreamer-and-dmabuf/ for an update on
using rob's gst-ducati <https://github.com/robclark/gst-ducati>).

I believe the nearest way of doing hw encode is using Intel Sandy/Ivy
Bridge using vaapi (see https://gitorious.org/vaapi/gstreamer-vaapi), but
so far, only decoding is upstream. Encoding might come in the future though
(some protoype work already started
https://gitorious.org/vaapi/gstreamer-vaapi/merge_requests/5).

Intel seems to be the only vendor interested in integrating these
hardware-accelerated encoding features on Linux.

If you don't have space constraints, i suggest you look into
low-compression codecs (jpegenc, ffenc_mjpeg, ffenc_mpeg4) since they are
light enough for high quality capture. As for live encoding for streaming
purposes, x264enc should be okay up to 720p on modern hardware.

Florent