vp8enc settings

marco marco at teknusi.org
Fri Sep 28 09:18:03 PDT 2012

Hi,

i compiled gstreamer against recent libshout and libvpx in order to stream webm to a recent beta of the icecast server.
I am using vp8enc to encode the video end vorbisenc for the audio and muxing them using webmmux element.
This setup partially works  if i choose to se the bitrate propriety of vp8enc: i can send the stream to the server and client can enjoy audio and video perfectly, but vp8enc seems not to respect the fixed bitrate. If i set 300000, about 300Kbit for the bitrate propriety i can see i have about 600Kbit in output. Considering that i am setting a low vorbis quality even summing up the weight of both there is something wrong with it.
On the other side, if i don't set the bitrate and instead i use the "quality" propriety the pipeline does not work anymore, no stream is sent to the server. I read on the plugin reference that bitrate and quality are mutually exclusive, so i cannot understand what i am doing wrong.

My setup is latest 0.10 gstreamer packages for core-base-good-bad-ugly-ffmpeg. The vp8enc behaviour is the same i use ubuntu packages for libx-libx-dev and if i compile the library by myself.

Anyone can help me understand this issue or point me to a good documentation?

Bye,

marco