Can I programmatically make x264enc emit an IFrame?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Apr 4 08:21:22 PDT 2013

Greetings,
I'm new to this list, so if this isn't the right forum for usage questions: please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I'm using x264enc in a conferencing setting, and I'd like to have a programmatic way to make it emit in IFrame (or IDR, to use the correct name). I need this so that I can have a stable picture quickly when new receivers have joined or the view has changed (on the receiving side).

Is such a feature available?

And, if it isn't, I'd like to add one. But I'm new to gstreamer development as well as to this mailing list, so I could use some guidance as to what the common (or "best") way is to implement such new functionality. Should I add in interface whereby my app can trigger the iframe emission? Use an event? Something else?

I have looked through the documentation but haven't been able to find answers to this question. If it is in the docs: could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help you can provide,