problem building gstreamer RPM file

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Apr 18 08:30:14 PDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 08:10 AM, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> Thank you. Yes, you were correct. I 'assumed' that the spec files
> represented the way that the RPMs were supposed to be built by the
> distros, which I want to duplicate. I should have realized my mistake
> from the config line - ./configure --enable-experimental. What control
> is there over the components packaged into an RPM by the various
> distros? Is there much variation in their content?

Each distro will likely be similar in some aspects but completely
different in others. It would likely be rare to find one spec file that
meets each distros' preferred packaging methods/guidelines, to do so
could result in a specfile with many many conditional statements etc.

That being said it really depends on the complexity of what is being
packaged.

If you need to support multiple distros, I would suggest getting the
distro specific specs patch them with what you need and build from
there. Quite often that is what we do in similar situations. Since most
distros have their specs in some form of version control we can
fork/branch etc and pull in changes when they are made.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613